Biyernes, Disyembre 2, 2011

Trip to Kaliraya Street

          Last Wednesday was  declared as a holiday. All malls were full of people enjoying their one day rest. Everyone had his own way of spending it. Some were on movies, others were off to eat on their favorite restaurants, and shopaholics go for shopping. I just got my allowance then and I can't help to buy new make ups to add on my make up collection. I bought three items from MAC cosmetics- an eyebrow corrector, eye pencil, and a mocha blush on.
          It was around 7:00pm when I decided to go home. As usual, I encountered a heavy traffic along Quezon Avenue so the taxi decided to find other way for us not to get trapped on the traffic. We passed by an unfamiliar street, Kaliraya, if I'm not mistaken.The place was rowdy, messy, and a bit stinky. Houses were smaller than a normal comfort rooms. The street itself was covered by people on their worn out shirts, discussing something, perhaps their dreams (well I believe people like them dream bigger than we think.).
          The residences of Kaliraya belong to the marginalized society. They are the people who we usually do not give a second look. They are the poor people who cannot maintain a proper life and get a little chance to be freed from this condition. Our society is composed of 3% over-consumers (the wealthiest and the richest businessmen who have the power in the country), 17% sustainers (people in the middle class who can meet more than their needs, those who are relative rich) and 80% marginalized (40% are in relative poverty who can eat three times a day and 40% of which are in the absolute poverty who cannot afford to meet the basic needs such as food, clothing, home and health).
          Sometimes, I mean most of the times, I wonder how these people manage to put curves on their faces. I wonder why they still have time to crack jokes when they have all the reasons to break down. I don't think they're lazy because as far as I know, they work harder than the company owners who are busy sitting on their air conditioned offices. They do the hard and heavy works and receive a little payment for it. They are poor not because of laziness but because they were born poor and our society do not give them opportunity to look for a better work. They don't have a choice. Option for them is never optional. They surely won't be hired on a company because they weren't educated at all, they might have the talent or skills but society refuse to look at it.
          One thing I love about us Filipinos is that we are naturally happy persons. Look at them, their houses are small and dirty, their clothes is somewhat like rags, they eat "pagpag", and their lives have no direction but they are happy. As I look on the houses, I've seen lanterns, I've seen some Christmas lights. I smiled because for the first time, I felt that Christmas is coming. At the back of my mind was a question- how could this people celebrate the most wonderful time of the year? What kind of food will be shared on their noche buena? Will they prepare gifts for each member of the family? I don't know but whatever it is, I admire them for their optimism. I admire how they put Christmas decorations even if life had been so unfair for them. I admire that instead of blaming God for the life He gave them, they choose to thank and praise Him. I admire how they save money just to buy decorations for the coming birth day of Jesus Christ.
          Christmas is a perfect time to give and share the blessings we receive from God. I just wish that people who have more than enough money would take time to help our less fortunate brothers and sisters. Let us make their Christmas memorable. Isn't it feels good to help others? It feels awesome to know that you are the source of other people's happiness. Why would you hold something that you cannot bring to your second life if you can share them with people who seldom experience a good life. Let us be an instrument for them to know how wonderful our world is. I think helping the poor will be the most precious gift Jesus Christ will ever receive on His birthday. 

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento