Huwebes, Disyembre 1, 2011

HARD WORK PAYS

          Once in a while, right at the middle of an ordinary day, God makes us realize how lucky we are not because of what we have, but because of what we are.

          Just yesterday, while having a law class, one of my block mates shared something which inspired me a lot. By the way, I am not an athlete but I’m from an athlete section. I always look up to these student-athletes not just because of the gold medals or titles or fame they've been giving to my school but because they have a heart that never gives up on whatever trials life has to offer. 

          Each athlete has his inspiring story, just like L (not his real name). I've known L since last semester. He's a typical student athlete but he studies harder than some of his team mates. L wasn't born rich but he never consider it as a hindrance for him to reach his dreams. His Mom, carrying a basket and a winnowing basket on her head, walks around their place in Mindoro to sell goods as a source of their livelihood. His Dad has no permanent work. He has six other siblings and he feels really lucky that among his siblings, he got a chance to attend college. Practically speaking, it is our right to study, but for people like L, they see studying as a privilege . 

          L has no monthly allowance but the school gives him two hundred pesos worth of meal everyday. To have extra money, L has what he calls "sideline". He don't wanna ask allowance from his Mom since the money her Mom gets from selling is not enough for his six siblings. His family and his dream of finishing school is what motivates him to continue fighting. Giving up is never an option for him.

          "Kinaya ko naman Bes diba? Kita mo third year na ako ngayon, isang taon na lang ga-graduate na ako." These words from L and his story made me guilty. Guilty because for typical students like us, our Moms give us around fifteen thousand a month but we still ask for more. Guilty because we always feel bad for not having our own car. Guilty because we sometimes curse our parents whenever they don't buy us this latest gadget. Guilty because we spend lot of money buying things which we do not actually need.

          I didn't feel bad for him, I feel bad for myself, for I failed to see how blessed I am. L inspired me a lot. He made me feel that lacking enough money won't make you feel less of a person because life is not measured by the what you have but rather by what you are. Life is how you view it and the fact that we are still breathing is something we have to be grateful for. Yes life is not fair, but if we look on the positive side of it, if we learn to appreciate it, and if we know how to handle it, LIFE IS DEFINITELY GOOD

          Thanks L! I know for sure that better future awaits you. I will always look up to you. 

          

3 komento:

  1. We learn so much, really, from unexpected sources. And while we sometimes deem our own reality in trade-off with people we highly look up to, we miss the idea that still many people are far less fortunate than us. Good thing is that these people's story can be our personal launch pad in attaining our dreams. Even in writing, inspiration takes a great role.

    Nice article, iha. Very profound and open (though L is still hidden, haha) I am now a fan. I look forward to read more.


    Kuya Jerwyn L.
    www.jerwynlabagnoy.tk

    TumugonBurahin
  2. Awwww thank you Sir. I'm not into blogging talaga. My professor just required us to have a blogsite. But I think I'm gonna enjoy this! Thank you po. Kahiya naman nabasa ng isang professional writer ang puchu-puchu kong blog. :p

    TumugonBurahin
  3. Puchu-puchu, hindi ah. Galing nga e. Parang hindi first time. You're good, iha. I think you need to reconsider writing as part of your life now even after you are through with the subject related to this blogging.

    TumugonBurahin